(1) The Backpack…what is that smell? Now is the perfect time to clean out and organize your kids’ backpacks.
- Take everything out and sort into Keep, To Do, or Trash.
- Review the To Do pile with your kids to determine what tasks need to be completed. It may be homework or important paperwork that needs to be signed by a parent for an upcoming field trip.
- Review the Keep items and choose where the items will live in the backpack.
- For example: Pencils, erasers and calculators can be stored in a small pocket for easy access.
(2) Stuffed Animals/Toys….let’s pick our favorites and find good homes for the others.
- This is a great opportunity to declutter while discussing how important it is to donate items to kids who may not have as much as we do.
(3) The Closet…kids keep growing out of their clothes and shoes.
- Try on all clothes and shoes and donate items that do not fit anymore. Another option is to keep clothes/shoes that are still in good shape for a younger sibling. Make sure to label the container with sizes for future reference.
- Keep a bin in each closet to collect donate items.
- Make decluttering a routine. Check backpacks daily, sort through clothes/shoes/toys at least 4 times a year.
- Include your child in the process, listen to their concerns, and make this a teaching moment about the importance of keeping your space neat and clutter free.